Monday, December 11, 2006

PARTNERS IN PAIN

You ask whether it's possible to love again after a death or a divorce. I wonder whether either of us have been hurt too badly emotionally or physically to ever love again.

They say people who haven't eaten enough for a long time, concentration camp survivors, anorexics etc can't process food right for a while after they start eating again. Sometimes they never do. I wonder whether I have been emotionally starved for so many years and whether I am so bent on satisfying clients, teachers, school administrators, family and friends to allow anyone, myself included, to make me happy.

An encouraging thing: Two months ago D. lost her husband of almost 13 years to cancer. He was the second husband she lost that way. She thanked J. and me for getting her out of the house. Now she is talking about getting a puppy.