Tuesday, May 15, 2007

ESTOY IN PUERTO RICO DÍA OCHO

This is the first time since arriving here that I have dared to put any part of my body into any body of water other than the hotel shower. I walked on the beach. The sand here is much softer than other Atlantic beaches or the Gulf Coast beaches.

We have seen three kinds of lizards here on this trip:

1) Small -- brown anoles, apparently native to Cuba. Mom has them in Florida.

2) Medium -- some kind of lizard about a foot long with an iridescent underbelly. They are about a foot long, give or take.

3) Large -- iguanas, apparently native to Central America. They appear to be up to three or four feet long from head to tail. A couple of them waddled up to me on the patio. Evidently the flapping of my skirt scared them. Fortunately they're vegetarians. Someone fed them some lettuce.

There are two big birds in cages in the hotel lobby. One is a blue-gold macaw, the other looks like an umbrella cockatoo. I wonder whether they actually recognize long-term guests, employees etc. The blue-gold let me pet him today. The cockatoo reached out of her cage to grab my dress with her claws.