Friday, July 27, 2007

WEEK 66

To re-iterate the story of V, the job-stealing bitch:

V. is a woman who used to work in my office before I did. She got a job elsewhere in the building. Nevertheless she’s managed to make it back to our office for a lot of birthdays or any other time there was food. As far as I know, no one was reciprocally invited to HER office. She remained buddies with S, who is notorious for sucking up to people/playing favourites.

About three weeks ago I was working on a project and V. walks in with S, who is explaining the latest project to her. I think “gee, S. wants to keep everybody informed.” Then V. sits down at my old desk and starts working on the project with me.

I demand to know what’s going on and S. sez “oh, V. lost her job. She’ll be ‘helping out’ here until she finds a new one.’ It turns out V. wasn’t downsized or the victim of a sale/merger – she quit. I was told she wouldn’t step on any toes, that she would be working in areas other than mine, so I wouldn’t lose many, if any commissions. WRONG. So far she got about two or three hundred dollars in commissions which would have gone to me. I have been in this job twelve years on and off. I have given up more for this company, brought in more revenue, have more experience and am better educated. Maybe I am being a baby, but I think I should least have a choice on which projects I want or don’t want to work and should have first crack at them.

I felt like saying to S. “how would you feel if I brought in my cousin K and said ‘K lost his job so he’ll be helping out here. We’ll be automatically taking three hundred dollars out of your next paycheck.’”

It turns out V. has already stepped on a couple other toes. She watered B’s plants without being asked, then said “how about taking me to lunch?” When he asked why she said “because I watered your plants for you.” He offered her a project for which I have been getting $11.00/hr. She told him she wouldn’t do it for less than $20/hr. Our boss said that wasn’t gonna happen.

She said to T “you live in Virginia, can you give me a ride home?” When he did she requested he stop at Safeway on the way home and wait for her. After he stupidly did, she said “I have to go to CVS, it’s just across the street.” At least he had the good sense to say no to that. After working for us for two days she asked the big boss for an advance on her first paycheck. Funny, she hasn’t been seen much recently. >Sniff<


This is the third time in about a year and a half that I've been screwed in order to create work for someone else's friend/relative. I've been thinking "gee, maybe if I were nicer to people my friends and relatives would screw other people over to create work for me."

Then I realized I have decent friends and relatives who wouldn't do that to other people.

Actually, I’ve been earning a lot the last two weeks, maybe even setting/breaking personal records. And I don’t even mind a lot of the work I’m doing and I love the money. Okay, so I’m not getting any sleep and I look like hell, but at least I’ll be able to enjoy my vacation next month.