Friday, August 17, 2007

WEEK 69

"I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?"

Zero Mostel/Nathan Lane

No, I did not try to do things wrong, it's just things are going right but not as expected. I spent almost a year in massage school and over ten thousand dollars yet I have not given a massage in weeks. And I am still earning more than I have in years, maybe more than in all my life.

Mom, of course is upset, but to me it doesn't matter where the money is coming from as long as I am earning it legally and morally. So if I earn $40-50 plus tips per hour doing massages but it's only one or two hours a day and I have to expend a lot of energy, what sense does that make? Especially since tips are not guaranteed.

On the other hand, If I earn the same amount of money in commissions doing public relations yet expend less energy and I work four to six hours, it's a more profitable work day with less energy expended. I know some people actually believe in what they're doing, but I do both massages and public relations for the money, not because I am Florence Nightingale or Jerry Maguire.

The good thing about doing what you're not passionate about for a living is your feelings don't get hurt if people criticize you. In radio or TV if people tell me I'm ugly, my voice or production skills are bad or I can't write, that hurts. However, if people refer to my massages as "average," "mediocre," "lousy" or "uninspired," I say "thank you, I'm sorry to have disappointed you," collect my money and go on to the next client.