Tuesday, January 01, 2008

TRYING NOT TO BE TOO UNHAPPY ABOUT IT, OR MY LIFE DOESN'T SUCK TOO MUCH DAY 1

My apologies to those of you who have read this before.

The “gratitude” thing seems to be pretty big recently, whether it’s “The Secret,” Sarah Ban Breathnach’s Simple Abundance or just “counting your blessings.” This is the fourth time I’ve tried such a thing, and this time I have decided to stick it out for a WHOLE YEAR.

"The Secret" DVD says if you are grateful to G-d, the universe, or whatever, it will acknowledge your gratitude and bless you with more. While this hasn’t necessarily been true all the time, at least it makes the bad stuff look not so horrendous.

The phrase “trying not to be too unhappy about it” comes from my GF in Newport News. A couple years ago her pre-teen (or maybe by then teenage) daughter was not pleased because things did not go exactly as she wanted. Without giving in to the kid, Mom said “try not to be too unhappy about it.” I like that. It was not “be happy,” “don’t be unhappy,” or even “try to be happy,” all of which are unrealistic sometimes. I figured, “yeah, I can do that.” I guess I could change this to http://tryingnottobetoounhappyaboutit.blogspot.com , but that would be too much work.