Sunday, January 13, 2008

TRYING NOT TO BE TOO UNHAPPY ABOUT IT, OR MY LIFE DOESN'T SUCK TOO MUCH DAY 13

I have about $95.00 worth of Starbuck's gift cards received as gifts for various occasions. They will actually be used to buy healthy food.

Sure, I could use them to buy coffee drinks and pastries, but I figure I have no excuse for not eating healthy food at least once a day. People have been saying nasty things about my weight and that it would be so simple to lose it if I would just adopt healthy eating habits. They also say I should take better care of my car, condo etc. I feel like saying "you assholes, then why the hell don't you pay for salads and gym memberships for me and take my car to the garage and pay for a cleaning woman, plumber etc?" You can get a double cheeseburger for a dollar at Mac's, but a decent salad there costs about four or five times that much. You do the math.

The anorexic nutritionist I went to told me instead of eating an Egg McMuffin I should have a toasted English muffin and a hard-boiled egg instead. This was when I only had one job. I felt like saying "yeah, lady, I'm gonna boil an egg, toast a muffin and clean up afterwards with all the stress in my life." Not only that, but English muffins in their natural state taste like styrofoam. You need to put sausage, eggs and cheese on them to make them palatable.

But I digress. I now have the money to buy fresh fruits and vegetables already washed and cut up for the next several weeks.

It is really hard to hold onto a positive attitude in these times. A couple hours ago I talked to a friend who is about to lose his job but hopes to get another one in March. And he will have to give up one of his apartments. Last night on WTOP I heard about upper middle-class couples selling their vacation homes and taking their kids out of private school. As Beaver Brown says, things are tough all over.

At least with all this stress more people should want massages.