Friday, October 31, 2008

WEEK 44

“Don’t it always seem to go
That you don’t know
what you’ve got
Till it’s gone”

Joni Mitchell

Not a bad week considering how poopy the last two have been. This year is five-sixths over, and I feel a lot of the good things I’ve written about sound like weather or stock reports, getting extra sleep or getting stuff free, or at a discount rate. Not terribly profound, I’m afraid. Still, I would say other than my beloved big pig being dead, things are better than they were a year ago.

One thing I’ve learned about is the “power of nice.” I think that may have cost me a lot. In the house I grew up in there was little room for “nice,” either you were right or wrong, there was little apology or forgiveness. Some days it’s all I can do to keep from telling potential clients to go fuck themselves. I’m wondering if I had been nicer to people in the past (with or without different parents, psychotherapy, anti-depressants) if I’d be an anchorwoman now.

It is Halloween as I type this. I can’t remember a Halloween on which I didn’t work. Next year Halloween will be on a Saturday and I plan to take it off if I’m still in the same job. And I plan on wearing a costume I like – I’m shopping online. Unfortunately, the styles I’m looking for for a woman of my height awake seem to be in the plus size or drag queen sections.