Wednesday, June 07, 2006

ANIMAL HOUSE

After finals last week Jay let us send out for pizza and watch videos. I figured not everyone likes Woody Allen or Tobey Maguire and John Irving is an acquired taste. And not everyone is as fascinated with the older woman-younger man thing (The Graduate , Harold and Maude , Tadpole , Something’s Gotta Give , The Door in the Floor ) as I am. So I brought Animal House because the good guys win out. After about ten minutes of Princess Bride we decided we’d rather watch Animal House . I explained to Lida that there would be four-letter words, bare breasts and exposed bottoms. Then we got to the part in which Tim Matheson takes a dildo out of his bag. Lida had never seen or even heard of a dildo so we had to explain that to her.

The first time I saw Animal House I was about about 15 or 16 and it convinced me there was SOME college in the continental United States which would accept me. I saw it again in undergraduate school and again in grad school and both times I knew it would be OK. The dorm in which I lived looked like those on the Faber College campus. And Faber College was supposed to be in Pennsylvania. I was taking statistics at the time. Enough said.