Saturday, February 10, 2007

"I'M CRAWLING ON YOUR SHORE"

Amy Ray/Emily Saliers

"To look at everything always as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time: Thus is your time on earth filled with glory."

Betty Smith

Funny how you seldom remember the first time you saw a person or place but more often you remember the last.

I don't remember much about my first day at school other than it was a Monday, I guess the weather was pretty nice since it was in April. I completed my graduation requirement February 10th. It was about 30 degrees outside, but at least the sun was shining. I drove all the way to Falls Church after working all night to find out S. was sick and no one could get into the library. Since I only needed three hours I decided to stick it out so I studied from my flashcards in the cosmo break room for four hours. Then I went to the Falls Church public library to use the computer and was told I would need a library card. Funny, I haven't had one there since graduate school. And after all these years of trying to get AWAY from there.

At the end of the morning I felt drained. Not exhilarated, just as though I had been beaten about and crawling into shore, just barely.