Tuesday, January 20, 2009

THE DEATH CARD


I drew this one for yesterday (Monday). It normally does not mean physical death – I can’t recall anyone close to me dying the day I drew it. Most books and web sites say it means change, termination, elimination. The skin has completely worn off the rider’s face – we have no idea of what he looked like when he was alive.

The sun is coming up. The death card stands for beginnings and endings, however, obviously, for things to begin, something else has to end. As Dianne Eppler Adams says, “if we do not graciously submit to the power of the universe, it will make us submit, and not so graciously.”

And it stands for elimination – the need to eliminate people/things from our lives in order to make room for new ones. I see this as a metaphor for the Obama administration – while I am not excited about the next four to eight years, there is nothing I can do about it and maybe some good will come out of it.