Friday, January 02, 2009

WEEK ONE

“Good bye, Old Year, You Oaf”

Ogden Nash

They say you will spend the rest of the year the way you started it. So if that’s true, I will be working my ass off the rest of the year.

Well, I am proud of myself for sticking to the Trying Not To Be Too Unhappy About It thing for 366 days. Okay, it was pretty draining and some days I was really stretching to find something positive to say. Literarily it wasn’t much of an achievement and a lot of it seemed awfully self-absorbed. I did a lot better at that than I did in my resolution to improve my Spanish – I think I probably learned about a dozen new words, maybe fifteen or 20 at the most.

Still, I don’t feel any worse about myself or my life, and I feel more optimistic about the coming year than a lot of other people probably do. Other than my beloved big pig dying and being screwed at two of my three jobs, things were better than they were in 2007.

New Year’s morning five people, later six, were killed in a house fire in Northeast DC. I wasn’t one of them. Then there was that guy Bruce Pardo in California, who killed his ex? Wife and eight other members of his family then himself. All this over a dog, a wedding ring and ten thousand dollars. The man earned over a hundred thousand dollars a year and lived in a half-million-dollar house. Okay, so it was heavily mortgaged, but what would drive a man to such an act? Even though he had lost his job, he could have gone back to court or something.

Peggie Arvidson talks about lifepaths and people’s mission on the planet. I wonder what Pardo’s lifepath was.