Saturday, January 06, 2007

NOTES FROM THE ASYLUM. OR THOSE RECENTLY LET OUT OF ONE

Well, my resolution to socialize more has gone horribly wrong. My boss told me about this “dinner” last night which was supposed to be a great networking event. Things were fudged up at school and I dragged myself home for a nap. The “dinner” was supposed to be from 6:30 to 10. I got there at about 8:30. Boss was not there.

It turned out it was a party for an organization for the severely mentally ill. Unfortunately, the event was run by a guy who belongs to one of my clubs. Nobody likes him. We call him “N___, the serial killer.” He is that creepy. The last time I remember seeing this guy was almost eight years ago. I was at an open house with my date and N___ approaches my date, telling him he is forming a new Jewish singles group and would like to invite him. He did not invite me. Neither my date nor I were Jewish. I was furious that this guy would have the nerve to ask a guy with a date to join his singles group, but I guess we didn’t appear to be the perfect loving couple.

At any rate there was really no one with whom to “network.” There were a bunch of cute guys who looked young enough to be my sons. And there was a guy who looked like Uncle Fester who kept yelling out weird stuff. All in all I would have done better going to school instead. I felt as though I had taken 19 dollars and 20 cents and flushed them down the toilet. At least the food and the music were good One of the performers was cute. He is a friend of my boss’s. His name is Ed. His band is called “Special Ed and the Slow Learners. Let's hope my resolution to earn more money turns out better.