Saturday, May 26, 2007

A RESURRECTION

In the play The Miracle Worker Anne Sullivan says “I think G-d must owe me a resurrection.” A blind orphan daughter of immigrant parents who grew up in an asylum herself, she felt G-d owed her something.

I spend my time in boutique hotels massaging women who sleep with attractive men and go sightseeing and attend wine-tastings – all the things I want. I get paid to make other people’s vacation or business trips nice and get raked over the coals if I’m ten minutes late for a massage which was foisted on me at the last minute and which I wasn’t trained for anyway. And what happens when I go on vacation? I don’t even get the room I pay for and end up looking like something out of a first-aid manual. And the manicurist is late. I figure if G-d doesn’t owe me a resurrection, at least he owes me a vacation. .