Friday, July 06, 2007

TRYING NOT TO BE TOO UNHAPPY ABOUT IT, OR MY LIFE DOESN'T SUCK TOO MUCH VI

The weather was nice for the ride home. A nice ride home reminds me of my father. Probably a lot of people don’t think of their fathers when they think of rush-hour traffic, but my parents took their daughter to work long before it was fashionable. This was due to a lack of child care or medical care. By the time I was in sixth grade it wasn’t unusual to be riding downtown and back in a nice outfit on the bus or in the carpool. I still have pleasant memories of driving down M Street in the sunset. Not many adults have pleasant memories of the daily commute.

For me, rush hour is a pretty foreign thing anyway, as I drive from the city to the outskirts or the suburbs or I drive TO work when everyone else is on the way home. Or vice versa.