Tuesday, November 21, 2006

WASHEE IRONY OR THE SONG OF THE KOREAN LAUNDRYMAN

I livee upee in a teeny-weeny housie
I livee upee on the thirty-first floor
I do the washing, a VELLY BIG-A WASHING
Ruffles on a petticoat ten cents more


I like a chow-chow better than a bow-wow
I like a little girl and she like-a me.
Way back in Hong Kong, big-a man-a come along
He take my little girl a way from-a me
Boom ditty ah-ah
So sad!


This was not politically incorrect when I was a Camp Fire Girl. Even then, though, I wondered.

For more camp songs click here.

Unfortunately, one of my favourite Our Gang episodes is titled "Washee Ironee." The kids need to do some laundry so they find a Chinese kid who really looks the part -- Mandarin jacket, cap etc. It's politically incorrect as hell.

Now it is mostly Koreans who do laundry/drycleaning. One afternoon P and I were watching a Korean soap opera with no subtitles. Scene: a beautifully dressed couple in an elegant restaurant. They are toasting each other with champagne -- the mood is festive. P's interpretation "we celeblate. I open new dly cleaning stole tomollow."

We get our laundry delivered to the school by some Hispanic guys. The company's motto is "always rented, never sold." It is stamped on every pillow case. I guess so we don't try to sell it.