Wednesday, June 13, 2007

YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK

Spent most of the day at NIH. They paid for my cab fare both ways and fed me breakfast and lunch, as well as $90.00 for my time. It was different being a patient there, as opposed to the employee of a contracter. I guess growing up around here a lot of us have some tie to NIH or other. G's aunt was a secretary there. That was when it was politically correct to say "secretary." My first endocrinologist worked there. So did my second.

E. had a hard life. He was a great kid, but had an abusive father. The father was a federal government employee and from what I'm told an asshole. He pressured his sensitive, artistic son in to a goverment career, touting its stability and benefits. Ironically when this same father died his precious benefits had run out, he ended up in some low-budget home and died more or less a pauper. Now I hear E. is in his father's line of work.

E. met a woman, fell in love and got engaged. The fiancee became very sick with cancer and NIH was her last hope. She met a guy there, not sure whether he was a fellow patient or staff member. At any rate, they fell in love and she dumped E. for him. So much for making plans of any kind.