Thursday, July 06, 2006

SHE SEEMS OKAY

The woman mentioned in yesterday's post is back at work, dressed and acting more subdued and demurely than she usually does. I asked her something like "are you feeling better today" and she said "yes." I guess it's none of my business beyond that.

What bothers me is that I pride myself on my ability to “think outside the box.” I never would have thought “seizure,” but I will consider it in the future. By the time I was in third grade my vision was 20/200 and I was walking into walls. My teacher said I was “on cloud nine” because I was always staring into space, Mom and Dad accused me of trying to attract attention and my pediatrician said I was “just tired.” I have a hard time forgiving that and an even harder time forgetting. One of my best friends has seizures but she’s never had one around me. She says she’s afraid people think she’s either retarded or a druggie (her words) and she is certainly neither. I have a leaky tricuspid valve, a disorder common to heroin addicts and phen-fen users, but I would imagine by looking at me you wouldn’t think either. I am not skinny.

My newest massage teacher is a registered nurse who says massage therapists should not try to “diagnose” or make clients think “something is wrong with them.” Case in point, a hypothetical client is a thin post-menopausal woman who has been told to bump up her calcium intake. My suggestion that the therapist suggest the client ask her doctor about a bone scan was met with a negative from the prof. On the other hand, she suggested asking the client about her children, social life, etc to make sure she’s not lonely. Personally I hate it when medical doctors/nurses try to play amateur psychiatrist – I guess it’s a throwback to the days in which Mom and Dad accused me of trying to get attention when all I needed was a pair of glasses.

I guess if this woman wants to talk to me or anybody about it she will.